Mexico City car hire information
|Pick-up location||Mexico City|
Mexico City car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Mexico City
Good to know
|Most popular car type||Compact|
When to book a hire car in Mexico City
Top tips for hiring a car in Mexico City
- Mexico City has a lot to offer -- and what better way to explore it all than with a hire car? Discover the beauty of nature many of the surrounding nature parks have on display, or venture out into adjoining areas without worrying about train timetables or delayed public transport. As hire cars are also pretty affordable, it is, in most cases, cheaper to drive around than to take public buses and trains.
- Benefit from the many car hire agencies located at Mexico International Airport such as Avis, Europcar, or Hertz. The car hire desks can be found at Terminal 1, even though Terminal 2 also has some service desks available and a shuttle bus operates between the two terminals.
- Driving in Mexico City can be overwhelming at first, but if taking their time and driving carefully and attentively, drivers will get used to it quickly. Adhering to the lane lines is not as clear as in many US cities and cars may cut into your lane suddenly and without a turn signal, so driving defensively and slowly is important.
- Avoid Mexico City’s rush hour, as traffic here is among the worst in the country during peak times. Morning rush hour is between 6 and 9 PM and in the evening from 6 to 9 PM, so try driving to your destination outside these times. Driving at night is also not advisable in the city because it can be dangerous, especially in specific areas like Tepito or Doctores. Keep to the main roads when driving, during the day and at night, especially when you are alone in the car.
- Book your car hire in Mexico City at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Standard car hires in Mexico City are around 91% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Mexico City
What is the most popular car hire in Mexico City?
Compact (Hyundai Accent or similar) is the most frequently booked car hire type in Mexico City.
What is the cheapest car hire agency in Mexico City?
What is the best car hire agency in Mexico City?
What is the cheapest car hire location in Mexico City?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Alamo International Arrivals 15620 (18 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find a car hire near me in Mexico City?
Take a look at our extensive car hire location map to find the best car hire deals near you.
How much does a Compact car hire cost in Mexico City?
A Compact car hire in Mexico City costs $4 per day, on average.
How much does a Intermediate car hire cost in Mexico City?
A Intermediate car hire in Mexico City costs $1 per day, on average.
How much does a Full-size car hire cost in Mexico City?
A Full-size car hire in Mexico City costs $77 per day, on average.
What type of car is recommended for driving in Mexico City?
There are no special requirements for driving in Mexico, but a compact car is always a sensible choice in a big city. Even more importantly, make sure that the hire car is properly insured and take notes (or photos) of any scratches on the car in advance to prove it was not your fault upon returning it, should claims be made.
What's the speed limit in Mexico City?
Mexico City allows only 10 kph (6 mph) in residential and pedestrian areas, 60 to 80 kph (37-50 mph) in urban, non-residential areas, and up to 110 kph (68 mph) on freeways. Always check the posted speed limit and adhere to it, as police are specifically looking out for tourists breaking the road regulations.
How are gas prices in Mexico City?
To get a hire car refilled, travelers should expect to pay the average price of 19 Mexican Pesos per liter, which is $0.94 per ¼ gallon. Petrolstations in Mexico City are full service, so you do not even need to pump your own gas. Have cash ready as some stations do not accept cards, and, should you pay with credit card, always demand a receipt.
Where are the best places to park in Mexico City?
Finding a parking space in Mexico City can be a hassle, and street parking may invite people to break open the car, especially if there are visible valuables in it. The safest option is to park at a parking lot or garage like EZ Parking in Roma Norte, BDI Estacionamiento Público in Polanco, or Smart Parking in Las Lomas. Ideally, opt for a hotel with a parking space included.