MEL - AKL
Find cheap flights from Melbourne to Auckland
Book cheap flights from Melbourne to Auckland (return)
Pros: I wasn't happy about the boarding part of it. On our tickets we were boarding through gat 18B and was changed to gate three but there was a serious communication breakdown so much that we had to rush to gate 3 the last minute thing after we looked or made enquiries for ourselves
Good to know
Best time to beat the crowds
expected price decrease
Most popular time to fly
expected price increase
(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)
or less (return)
When to book flights from Melbourne to Auckland
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for $322 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Melbourne to Auckland was found, on average, 61 days before departure.
- Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- Morning departure is around 28% cheaper than an evening flight, on average*.
*Average of the lowest prices shown in KAYAK’s search results for departures within the next 30 days
- Most local airlines offer regular flights from Melbourne to Auckland, including budget airline Jetstar and the award-winning Air New Zealand. If you need a spot to relax before your flight, you will find airline passenger lounges for Air New Zealand, Qantas and Emirates all at Melbourne Airport.
- If you are continuing your journey after your flights from Melbourne to Auckland to elsewhere in New Zealand, you will need to transfer from Auckland’s international terminal to the domestic terminal. If you’d like to walk it, it takes 10 minutes if you just follow the green line. Otherwise you can use the bright green shuttle bus that departs from each terminal every 15 minutes.
- There is no train to Melbourne airport, however, you can catch one of the five public bus services that stop at the airport station. Alternatively, you can take the SkyBus, a more direct shuttle service that can take you to and from the airport to Melbourne city centre. You can find the bus timetable and book your tickets at the airport website.
- Travelling from Auckland airport, you can use Auckland’s SkyBus to the city centre or to North Harbour. The trip will take you about an hour. Another option is to use the RideMate app. Partnered with the New Zealand Transport Authority, this app can track your fastest, cheapest or most reliable route from Auckland airport and can provide you with options on how to get to your destination.
- If you are travelling with children, you can find a children’s play area in Melbourne Airport at Terminal 2 opposite Gate 15b. For those travelling with infants, you can find numerous changing facilities throughout all four airport terminals.
FAQs for booking Melbourne to Auckland flights
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.