MEL - LAX
Find cheap flights from Melbourne to Los Angeles
Good to know
|February||Best time to beat the crowds (17% less expensive on average)|
|December||Most popular time to fly (32% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|$808||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
When to book flights from Melbourne to Los Angeles
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for $974 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Melbourne to Los Angeles was found, on average, 28 days before departure.
- Book at least 1 week before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be November, December and January. The cheapest month to fly is February.
- Morning departure is around 8% cheaper than an evening flight, on average*.
- Flights from Melbourne to Los Angeles most commonly have a single stop in Sydney before entering the second leg of the flight. Non-stop flights can be found, but they’re generally more expensive. Flights will arrive at LAX Airport, which is approximately 18 miles south of Los Angeles city centre.
- If you could use a bite to eat before your flight departs, Melbourne Airport offers travellers a long list of different airport restaurant options. From simple cafes and bistros to noodle shops, fresh juice vendors, local restaurants and other options, you have several ways to refuel before your flight departs.
- When your flight arrives at LAX, you can get to Los Angeles city centre via a few different means of transport. One of the cheapest and most popular ways to get to central Los Angeles is via LAX’s FlyAway bus that connects travellers directly to Union Station. The FlyAway bus trip is approximately 45 minutes to an hour in length, and fares are around USD $10 ($14).
- If you’d rather steer clear of public transport after your flight from Melbourne to Los Angeles, taxi ranks are located outside each terminal. A taxi to Los Angeles city centre can take approximately 30 minutes to over an hour, as Los Angeles traffic can get backed up quickly. Fares from LAX to the centre start at around USD $50 ($71).
- Need to hire a car? There are several rental agencies operating within LAX. The rental car agencies operating within LAX include: AVIS, Budget, Enterprise, Dollar, Enterprise, Fox and others. Booking your reservation early can end up saving you a bundle, as reservations can fill up quickly and decreasing availability can increase prices.
FAQs for booking Melbourne to Los Angeles flights
How long does a flight from Melbourne to Los Angeles take?
Which airlines provide the cheapest flights from Melbourne to Los Angeles?
What’s the cheapest day of the week to fly from Melbourne to Los Angeles?
Which airports will I be using when flying from Melbourne to Los Angeles?
How much is parking at Melbourne Airport?
Is there free WiFi at Melbourne Airport?
Where are the baby changing areas in Melbourne Airport?
Which LAX Terminal has the most shops?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 5 airlines serving Melbourne to Los Angeles
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights from Melbourne to Los Angeles (return)
Book cheap flights from Melbourne to Los Angeles (one-way)
Melbourne - Los Angeles Flights
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.