SYD - MEL
Find cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne
Good to know
|May||Best time to beat the crowds (16% less expensive on average)|
|April||Most popular time to fly (15% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|$144||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
When to book flights from Sydney to Melbourne
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for $131 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Sydney to Melbourne was found, on average, 88 days before departure.
- Book at least 2 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be March, April and May. The cheapest month to fly is May.
- Morning departure is around 9% cheaper than an evening flight, on average*.
- The City of Melbourne is served by four airports but only two of them handle the bulk of domestic and international flights: Melbourne International Airport (MEL), otherwise known as Melbourne Airport and Avalon International Airport (AVV) or Avalon Airport, and Jetstar Airways provides flights from Sydney to Melbourne to both.
- Parents travelling with children on flights from Sydney to Melbourne should know that Sydney Airport has parents rooms and nursing facilities located near the baggage reclaim areas of the airport and there are also four children’s play areas in the International terminal including at Gates 32, 50 and 59.
- International travellers connecting at Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport (SYD), otherwise known as Sydney Airport, should be aware that the international terminal (T1) is separated from the domestic terminals (T2 & T3), with a shuttle service provided between them by T-Bus, so factor sufficient transfer time when planning your flights.
- Need a bite to eat while at Sydney Airport? If so, the airport offers a wide variety of choices, such as Chur Burger and Coopers Alehouse at Terminal 2 or Bar Roma and Bar Corretto located at Terminal 3, as well as Taste of Thai and Heineken House at International terminal 1.
- Passengers looking to enjoy a refreshing shower before their flight from Sydney to Melbourne can enjoy one of several locations on the Sydney Airport premises. The Departures hall has shower facilities near check-in counters A and K and there are also showers near Gate 31, Gate 51 and Gate 24 which is a men-only facility.
FAQs for booking Sydney to Melbourne flights
How long does a flight from Sydney to Melbourne take?
How many flights are there between Sydney and Melbourne?
Which airlines provide the cheapest flights from Sydney to Melbourne?
Which airlines fly most frequently between Sydney and Melbourne?
What’s the cheapest day of the week to fly from Sydney to Melbourne?
Which airports will I be using when flying from Sydney to Melbourne?
What parking options are there at Melbourne Airport?
How do I get downtown from Avalon Airport?
Are there any onsite hotels at Melbourne Airport?
How do I get to Rod Laver Arena from Melbourne Airport?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 3 airlines serving Sydney Kingsford Smith to Melbourne
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne (return)
Book cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne (one-way)
Sydney - Melbourne Flights
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.