SYD - MEL
Find cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne
Book cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne (return)
Cons: Flight was delayed by 45 minutes due to **insert one of many excuses here** and then Jetstar misplaced my luggage ( I arrived at 3 pm into Melbourne and my luggage arrived 10.30pm so I spent one of my two nights waiting for the bag to show up)
Pros: Clean and got us there pretty fast.
Cons: The crew had to move people to the back of the plane to "balance the weight". Never heard of that before. So we sat for 30 minutes while they rearranged the passengers. The flight attendant seemed almost drunk. He kept rambling on the intercom and slurring his words. Very unprofessional.
Good to know
Best time to beat the crowds
expected price decrease
Most popular time to fly
expected price increase
(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)
or less (return)
When to book flights from Sydney to Melbourne
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for $144 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Sydney to Melbourne was found, on average, 90 days before departure.
- Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be March, April and May. The cheapest month to fly is February.
- Morning departure is around 45% more expensive than an evening flight, on average*.
*Average of the lowest prices shown in KAYAK’s search results for departures within the next 30 days
- The City of Melbourne is served by four airports but only two of them handle the bulk of domestic and international flights: Melbourne International Airport (MEL), otherwise known as Melbourne Airport and Avalon International Airport (AVV) or Avalon Airport, and Jetstar Airways provides flights from Sydney to Melbourne to both.
- Parents travelling with children on flights from Sydney to Melbourne should know that Sydney Airport has parents rooms and nursing facilities located near the baggage reclaim areas of the airport and there are also four children’s play areas in the International terminal including at Gates 32, 50 and 59.
- International travellers connecting at Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport (SYD), otherwise known as Sydney Airport, should be aware that the international terminal (T1) is separated from the domestic terminals (T2 & T3), with a shuttle service provided between them by T-Bus, so factor sufficient transfer time when planning your flights.
- Need a bite to eat while at Sydney Airport? If so, the airport offers a wide variety of choices, such as Chur Burger and Coopers Alehouse at Terminal 2 or Bar Roma and Bar Corretto located at Terminal 3, as well as Taste of Thai and Heineken House at International terminal 1.
- Passengers looking to enjoy a refreshing shower before their flight from Sydney to Melbourne can enjoy one of several locations on the Sydney Airport premises. The Departures hall has shower facilities near check-in counters A and K and there are also showers near Gate 31, Gate 51 and Gate 24 which is a men-only facility.
FAQs for booking Sydney to Melbourne flights
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.