MEL - SYD
Find cheap flights from Melbourne to Sydney
Good to know
|May||Best time to beat the crowds (17% less expensive on average)|
|December||Most popular time to fly (21% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|$135||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
When to book flights from Melbourne to Sydney
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for $118 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Melbourne to Sydney was found, on average, 89 days before departure.
- Book at least 2 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be November, December and January. The cheapest month to fly is May.
- Morning departure is around 13% cheaper than an evening flight, on average*.
- Planning a visit to Sydney? If so, you should know that Qantas, Virgin Australia and Jetstar Airways are three Australian air carriers that offer flights from Melbourne to Sydney and all use Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport (SYD), also known as Sydney Airport, as a major operations hub.
- Bar Pulpo and Nandos are two eateries in domestic terminal 2 at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport in case you plan on having a meal before your flight, but if you are at terminal 3, then Hightide Lounge and Macchinetta are two good choices before the security checkpoint, while Pasta Pomodoro and Oporto are options found in international T1.
- Passengers looking to enjoy a quiet moment of reflection before their flight from Melbourne to Sydney will be happy to know that they can make use of the multi-faith prayer room located in the forecourt of Melbourne Avalon Airport’s domestic terminal, which welcomes any visitors observing religious obligations.
- Entrepreneurs and corporate flyers can enjoy the hospitality of the PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport hotel, which is connected to both domestic and international terminals at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport and has dedicated conference centre and meeting room facilities, making it ideal business accommodation or a great place to host a special event or reception.
- If you wish to leave your car at Melbourne Avalon Airport while you’re away on business or pleasure, you’ll be happy to know that there is a single car park directly opposite the terminals, which is open for short term or long term parking, avoiding the hassle of shuttles and walking, and is also good for pickups and drop-offs.
FAQs for booking Melbourne to Sydney flights
How long does a flight from Melbourne to Sydney take?
How many flights are there between Melbourne and Sydney?
Which airlines provide the cheapest flights from Melbourne to Sydney?
Which airlines fly most frequently between Melbourne and Sydney?
What’s the cheapest day of the week to fly from Melbourne to Sydney?
Which airports will I be using when flying from Melbourne to Sydney?
Are there any onsite hotels at Sydney Airport?
What family facilities are there at Sydney Airport?
How do I get to Sydney Cricket Ground from Sydney Airport?
How do I get downtown from Sydney Airport?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 3 airlines serving Melbourne to Sydney Kingsford Smith
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights from Melbourne to Sydney (return)
Book cheap flights from Melbourne to Sydney (one-way)
Melbourne - Sydney Flights
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.