Find cheap flights to Johannesburg
Good to know
|March||Best time to beat the crowds (4% less expensive on average)|
|July||Most popular time to fly (13% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|$1,059||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
Top tips for finding cheap flights to Johannesburg
- Looking for cheap airfare to Johannesburg? 25% of our users found return tickets to Johannesburg for the following prices or less: From Melbourne $1,138, from Sydney Kingsford Smith $1,278, from Perth $1,355
- Book at least 5 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be January, November and December. The cheapest month to fly to Johannesburg is October.
- Travellers on flights to Johannesburg will be flying into OR Tambo International Airport. This airport is the largest and busiest in Africa and acts as the hub for the entire continent’s international tourism and shipping. The airport has two main terminals for passengers and is served by many of the major airlines.
- For those looking for something to do in OR Tambo International Airport, there is a wide range of shopping opportunities to keep you occupied. Terminal A has a duty-free shopping mall at its centre, and Terminal B has an entire floor dedicated to retail. Here you can find South African souvenirs from stores such as African Eco, as well as major clothing and beauty shops such as Hugo Boss or the Body Shop.
- Travel can be very disruptive to your routine. If you are looking for a Christian chapel, you will find it located on Level 2 of Terminal B. The chapel has services at 1pm every Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday, and is otherwise open for passengers 24 hours a day.
- If your flight to Johannesburg is for business, there is a Premier Conference Centre in the domestic terminal with a range of conference rooms and spaces. The smaller meeting rooms can seat between 10 and 14 people, however there is also a seminar room for 25 to 50 people or a full theatre conference space for groups of 60 to 120 people.
- South Africa is a popular place to explore by car. If you’ll be hiring a vehicle to continue your journey, you will find kiosks for all of the major rental car companies, including Avis, Thrifty and Hertz, in the international arrivals area. The airport is only a 20-minute drive from downtown Johannesburg.
FAQs - booking Johannesburg flights
How long is the flight to Johannesburg?
What is the cheapest flight to Johannesburg?
Which airlines fly to Johannesburg?
How far is Johannesburg airport from central Johannesburg?
What is the name of Johannesburg’s airport?
How do I travel from the airport into downtown Johannesburg?
Where can I park at Johannesburg Airport?
Are there any airline lounges in OR Tambo International Airport?
What accommodation options are there near Johannesburg Airport?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 5 airlines flying to Johannesburg OR Tambo
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book Cheap Flights to Johannesburg (Return)
Book Cheap Flights to Johannesburg (One-way)
Look for other cheap flights to Johannesburg
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.