SYD - CNS
Find cheap flights from Sydney to Cairns
Good to know
|March||Best time to beat the crowds (18% less expensive on average)|
|December||Most popular time to fly (23% more expensive on average)|
Average price of a return ticket
|$251||(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)|
Good deal for a return ticket
When to book flights from Sydney to Cairns
Top tips for finding a cheap flight
- Looking for a cheap flight? 25% of our users found flights on this route for $222 or less.
- The cheapest flight from Sydney to Cairns was found, on average, 65 days before departure.
- Book at least 4 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be November, December and January. The cheapest month to fly is March.
- Morning departure is around 6% cheaper than an evening flight, on average*.
- Direct flights from Sydney to Cairns operate daily throughout the week. These flights are operated by four domestic carriers – Qantas, Virgin Australia, and the budget airlines Jetstar and Tiger Airways Australia. All these airlines fly into T2 in Cairns, which is the domestic terminal. If you have onward international flights, you will need to switch terminals.
- Hungry travellers waiting to catch flights from Sydney to Cairns can take advantage of a number of restaurant options at the domestic terminals of Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport. From coffee shops, such as Toby’s Estate at T3 domestic terminal and burger bars – Chur Burger and Bistro 2020 in the T2 domestic terminal – there is something to suit every appetite.
- If you are travelling to Cairns Airport to explore further afield, a good way to do this is to hire a car and collect it upon arrival. There are a number of car hire companies that have desks in the arrivals halls of both terminals. Avis, Budget, Hertz and Europcar are among the car hire companies represented at Cairns Airport.
- For travellers with babies on flights from Sydney to Cairns, you will be happy to know that Cairns Airport has parents’ facilities in both terminals both before and after security. These are situated close to shops and places to eat and will allow you to change your baby’s nappy in peace and quiet away from the airport before any onward travels.
- If you only have a limited amount of time in Cairns before moving on elsewhere and would like to explore the city and surrounds without carrying your luggage, there are luggage storage lockers next to the T2 Car Park Service Kiosk at Cairns Airport. The costs range between AUD6 and AUD14 depending on the locker size and the amount of time you need it for.
FAQs for booking Sydney to Cairns flights
How long does a flight from Sydney to Cairns take?
How many flights are there between Sydney and Cairns?
Which airlines provide the cheapest flights from Sydney to Cairns?
Which airlines fly most frequently between Sydney and Cairns?
What’s the cheapest day of the week to fly from Sydney to Cairns?
Which airports will I be using when flying from Sydney to Cairns?
Are there smoking areas at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport?
Is there free Wi-Fi at both Sydney Kingsford Smith and Cairns Airport?
How do I transfer between terminals at Cairns Airport?
Can I use public transport to get from Cairns Airport to Cairns city centre?
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
Top 3 airlines serving Sydney Kingsford Smith to Cairns
Scores according to KAYAK customer reviews
Book cheap flights from Sydney to Cairns (return)
Book cheap flights from Sydney to Cairns (one-way)
Sydney - Cairns Flights
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.