Find cheap flights to China
Latest China Flight Deals
Top tips for finding cheap flights to China
- Looking for cheap airfare to China? 25% of our users found return tickets to China for the following prices or less: From Darwin $535, from Adelaide $1,031, from Hobart $1,038
- Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be May, June and July. The cheapest month to fly to China is March.
- China’s biggest international hubs are Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK), Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG), and Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN). Most international flights enter the country at one of these airports where you can connect to the rest of China.
- Having two busy airports which offer a large number of international and domestic flights, Beijing is the most convenient starting point for sightseeing and further travels around China. If you’re going to China’s capital, you can fly to one of the two airports: the older Capital International Airport (PEK), or the newest Daxing International Airport (PKX).
- If you’re flying into Shanghai, keep in mind that there are two airports you can fly into. Shanghai Pudong Airport is considered the main airport, located 45min from downtown Shanghai along the coast. Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA) is closer, about 25min away.
- China is big, and flying is the most efficient and often the most economical way to see most of the country. Flying into major centres will allow you to easily connect to domestic flights. These centres are largely found along the seacoast with the most central being Shanghai.
- Those visiting the UNESCO Panda Sanctuaries in Jiajin, Siguniang, and Wolong Mountains can start their journey in Chengdu. The Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU) is about 1h drive from the mountains where the sanctuaries are, and many tours also start in Chengdu.
FAQs - booking China flights
How long is the flight to China?
The average direct flight from Australia to China takes 24h 58m, covering a distance of 7934 km. The most popular route is Newcastle - Chongqing with an average flight time of 20h 25m.
What is the cheapest flight to China?
The cheapest ticket to China from Australia found in the last 72 hours was $613. The most popular route is Newcastle to Chongqing and the cheapest airline ticket found on this route in the last 72 hours was $1,071.
Which airlines fly to China?
China Southern, Qantas Airways & XiamenAir fly the most frequently from Australia to China.
What are the most popular destinations in China?
Based on KAYAK flight searches, the most popular destination is Shanghai (21% of total searches to China). The next most popular destinations are Chongqing (12%) and Hangzhou (9%). Searches for flights to Yanji (7%), Beijing (5%) and Shenzhen (4%) are also popular.
Are there any direct flights to China?
You can find several direct flights to China from many of Australia’s major ports. For example, Qantas offers direct flights from Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane to Shanghai, and China South offers direct flights to Guangzhou. Hainan Airlines flies from Sydney and Melbourne to Beijing. Those flying from Melbourne can also find direct flights to Shenzhen by China Southern, Qingdao by Hainan Airlines, or Chongqing by TianJin Airlines.
Do I need a visa to visit China?
Those visiting China with an Australian passport will need to apply for a visa before their trip to China. It is recommended that you apply for your visa at least one month in advance. You will require the application form, a passport photo, proof of round-trip tickets, evidence of your travel itinerary, an invitation letter from the person you are visiting or from the China travel agency you are travelling with, and further documents may be requested. Keep in mind that visas to Tibet are separate.
Where should I stay if I am visiting the Great Wall of China?
The best place to stay if you are visiting China to see the Great Wall is Beijing. The most well-preserved parts of the Great Wall are in suburban Beijing, about an hour’s drive from the city centre. These include the Badaling and Mutianyu, the recently renovated Juyonguan, and the wild and overgrown Jiankou. The even more scenic Simatai and Jinshanling sections are still only 2h from the city.
Where do I go to see the Terracotta Army?
The Terracotta Army is in the Emperor Qinshihuang's Mausoleum in Lintong, about 45min from Xi’an in central China. The most efficient way to get there is to fly to the Xi’an Xianyang International Airport (XIY), located about 30min from downtown Xi’an or 1h from the Mausoleum Site Museum. You can catch a bus from the airport to Lintong, and transfer at the bus station for the bus to the Terracotta Warriors.
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool uses historical data to determine whether the price for a given destination and date is likely to change within 7 days, so travellers know whether to wait or book now.
Book cheap flights to China(Return)
Pros: Very responsible and kind cabin crew. We were delayed by maybe 8-10 hours because of weather. The crew would have to work all night, but were very kind about the situation.
Cons: Short flight; so there was no real in-flight entertainment. That's really alright though.
Look for other cheap flights to China
- Flights »
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.