Find cheap flights to San Francisco
Book Cheap Flights to San Francisco(Return)
Good to know
Best time to beat the crowds
expected price decrease
Most popular time to fly
expected price increase
(avg. price over the last 2 weeks)
or less (return)
Top tips for finding cheap flights to San Francisco
- Looking for cheap airfare to San Francisco? 25% of our users found return tickets to San Francisco for the following prices or less: From Melbourne $828, from Brisbane $844, from Sydney Kingsford Smith $954
- Book at least 3 weeks before departure in order to get a below-average price.
- High season is considered to be February, March and April. The cheapest month to fly to San Francisco is February.
- SamTrans is a 24-hour bus service which links San Francisco Airport to parts of San Francisco city. The routes that stop directly at the airport terminals are routes SFO, ECR, 292, 397 and 398. Buses leave from Terminals 2 and 3 outside Arrivals, and from the International Terminal at Level 1.
- If you’re traveling with kids, you will find nurseries available in Terminals 1, 2 and 3, as well as children’s play areas (Kids’ Spots) in Terminals 2 and 3. If you need items for infants such as diapers, medicine and formula, you can find them at one of the various News shops around the airport. In addition, many restaurants have kids’ menus available.
- Should you need to put your bags in storage after your flight to San Francisco, please note that luggage storage is available at the Airport Travel Agency in the International Terminal. You can also store sports equipment, dog kennels, canoes and bicycles. They are open from 6am to 11pm every day, with prices varying according to the size of your item and the length of time you wish to store it for.
- An Airport Butler service is available to passengers: a customized concierge service whereby a member of airport staff assists passengers departing or arriving on flights to San Francisco, or possibly connecting to another flight. You can make a reservation for this service online; it is available in different languages.
- If you have a bit of time before your flight, head to the Aviation Museum & Library located in the International Terminal for an insight into the world of commercial aviation. The museum is open from 10:30am to 4:30pm every day. Additionally, there are 40 art exhibitions spread throughout the airport terminals, which include paintings, installations, photography and video arts.
FAQs - booking San Francisco flights
What is the cheapest flight to San Francisco?
The cheapest airline ticket to San Francisco from Australia in the last 72 hours was $759 return on the route Sydney to San Francisco. The most popular route is Sydney to San Francisco and the cheapest ticket found on this route in the last 72 hours was $952 return.
Which airlines fly to San Francisco?
In general from Australia, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines and Avianca fly the most to San Francisco. The most popular route is from Sydney, and American Airlines, Alaska Airlines & Avianca fly this route the most.
How far is San Francisco airport from central San Francisco?
San Francisco Airport is 19 kilometres from the centre of San Francisco. View on map.
What is the name of San Francisco’s airport?
San Francisco is served by San Francisco Airport, also commonly referred to as San Francisco, San Francisco Intl. The airport code is SFO.
Is a train service available to and from San Francisco Airport?
San Francisco Airport is serviced by the BART rail network. The SFO BART Station is located at the International Terminal on the Departures level. If you are in another terminal, you can take the AirTrain between terminals for free. BART tickets can be purchased from the station; vouchers can also be purchased in advance online and redeemed at the Information Booth near the AirTrain escalator. BART connects the airport to downtown San Francisco, but also to the San Mateo County and East Bay areas.
How much is a taxi fare from San Francisco Airport to downtown San Francisco?
Taxis in San Francisco all have metered rates. The travel time from the airport to downtown San Francisco is about 30 minutes, and the fare should be between US$46 (about AU$64) and US$66 (about AU$92), depending on the exact destination. Taxis are available outside Arrivals at all terminals, and taxi coordinators are available to help from 7am to 2:15am.
Is there an on-site airport hotel at San Francisco Airport?
Nap rooms are available at FreshenUp inside the International Terminal at San Francisco Airport. Located close to the Airport Travel Agency, it is open 24 hours a day with rates from one hour up to an overnight stay. Showers are also available for an extra fee. In addition, there are five other hotels within five minutes of the airport, all of which offer airport shuttle services.
Which lounge can I go to at San Francisco Airport if I’m flying economy?
There are various airline lounges at San Francisco Airport, but most are only accessible if you are flying with that particular airline. The Air France-KLM Lounge is, however, accessible to all passengers through the purchase of a prepaid pass, regardless of the airline or class they’re traveling with. It is located in the International Terminal and offers beverages, a television, newspapers and Wi-Fi from 6:45am to 1am every day.
How does KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool help me choose the right time to buy?
KAYAK’s flight Price Forecast tool uses historical data to determine whether the price for a given destination and date is likely to change within 7 days, so travellers know whether to wait or book now.
Look for other cheap flights to San Francisco
- Flights »
We attempt to get accurate prices, however, prices are not guaranteed.
We’re not the seller.
At KAYAK we don’t set the prices, so it’s not possible for us to guarantee what other companies are selling.
We compile tonnes of data for you
Our service lets you quickly and easily compare results from hundreds of travel sites at once. In this sense, KAYAK is a search engine and we can't guarantee prices we find.
Why aren’t prices accurate 100% of the time?
Prices on airline seats, hotel rooms and car hires can change frequently. Several people may also be trying to buy the same travel option simultaneously. As a result, you may find, on occasion, that certain prices are no longer available.
If you have more questions or if you have a bad price to report to us,
please send us an email and someone from our team will get back to you promptly.